Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

#48. Learn to play Texas hold 'em.


Well, I never had the hand pictured above, but I did learn to play Texas hold 'em last night, courtesy of D.J. and Heather Williams.

I'm not entirely sure how I made it to 29 without having learned any form of poker, let alone this particular variety, but there you have it (I also didn't like burgers 'till I was 20, but that's a post for another day). I've played my share of card games over the years (gin, blackjack, euchar, etc.), but just somehow never got around to learning this one. The Williams threw a poker night last night, and it seemed the perfect time to correct my negligence.

D.J. teaches poker like he preaches, which is to say, quite well, and with just enough NBA illustrations to keep you on on your toes. Before starting tournament-style play, we went through a practice hand, which I concluded by going all-in (I think I may have had a pair of 2's, at best).

That didn't end well. On to the real thing!

I had a nice first hand-maybe two pair this time-which was good enough to win! Alas, I don't think I won more than two or three hands the rest of the night. We were only playing for pride-I leave it up to you, O reader, to decide if that's better or worse than playing for cash. I left Casa Williams with all my chips in front of D.J., but I did manage to avoid going out first, for whatever that's worth.

All in all, it was a fun night-good friends, good food, and more than a few tense, exciting moments of bluffs, calls, big wins, and crushing losses. I'd love to play again, but I definitely need to work on my poker face. I'm just a tad expressive: maybe that's one reason I put off learning poker in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment